The School is one of the largest Chemistry Schools in Australia. It is also the oldest, with the establishment of the Chair of Chemistry and Experimental Physics in 1851. Today, its undergraduate enrolments (Years 1 to 3) average 2500 each semester, while there are over 40 students enrolled in the Honours program and over 100 postgraduate students studying for either Masters or PhD degrees, including a large cohort of International students.
We currently have 28 academic staff and over 60 research fellows/postdoctoral staff, including two Federation Fellows. Over 40 administrative, technical and professional staff help support the running of the School.
There are around 38 research groups working in the following main areas of chemistry: